Stepping Stone Support Center is actively seeking a Culinary Team Advisor to join our amazing team! At SSSC, we provide job-skill-training services, Supported Community Connections outings and activities, Specialized Habilitation services, and much more. We serve adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Our program is growing rapidly, and we have a waiting list of participants eager to join. We're looking for an experienced, motivated, compassionate, and energetic person to come on board and grow with us! Previous culinary experience and/or above-average culinary skills is strongly preferred.
Title: Culinary Team Advisor
Job Type: Full-time (32-40 hours/week) – exact hours TBD upon hire
Compensation: $12.50-$14.50/hour – based on experience
Expectation: The Culinary Team Advisor will generally be at Stepping Stone Support Center during normal business hours, Monday-Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Friday 8:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Reports to: Program Manager
Goals: As a Stepping Stone advisor, it is your goal to ensure that the support center and programs within it run smoothly from open to close every day. It is important to maintain a standard of excellence, through which everyone is given an opportunity to become the best versions of themselves.
Team Description: The culinary team uses their skills in order to meal plan, grocery shop, prepare treats for the weekly coffee shop, and cook lunch for the entire co-op each week. As the advisor of this team, you will be responsible for various tasks (listed below), while teaching job skills to adults with developmental disabilities.
• Employee must maintain current certifications in the following areas (offered through SSSC): CPR/AED, First Aid, Bloodborne Pathogens, Person-Centered Thinking, and any others deemed necessary by management.
• Employee must hold a valid driver's license and be at least 18 years of age.
• Employee must pass the state's CAPS check.
• Employee must pass a criminal background check.
• Employee must pass a Motor Vehicle Record check.
• Employee must have a minimum of a high school diploma.
• Employee must have applicable previous experience working with an at-risk population (disabled, elderly, children).
• Employee must respond well under pressure and be able to act swiftly and responsibly to a variety of situations, while maintaining the highest quality of care and ensuring health and safety are top priority.
• Employee must have strong verbal communication skills and the ability to manage conflicts, challenging behaviors, and various crises in a professional manner.
• Employee must have excellent written communication skills (professional and grammatically correct). • Employee must be a self-starter with a keen awareness for unmet needs and a willingness to jump in and help as needed.
Team Advisor Duties:
• Assist in advising a cooperative team in the management of their business
• Teach and demonstrate good work ethic and vocational skills
• Guide decision-making
• Ensure that each participant receives support, instruction, and intervention as needed
• Maintain a respectful, positive atmosphere
• Treat all team members as adults
• Record services provided in Quick Base daily
• Keep team materials and records in order
• Teach culinary/kitchen skills
• Ensure team safety while handling kitchen items
• Collaborate with the assistant advisor to encourage mutual decision making
• Routinely oversee kitchen safety
• Teach "serve safe" program to participants and ensure their safety while cooking
• Facilitate oversight for rules and regulations under a Cottage Kitchen license
• Help to decide a menu each week
• Guide participants and assess what level of cooking independence is realistic for them
• Oversee quality-control for food
• Promote teamwork and communication
• Transport participants to the store each week and guide them in grocery shopping
• Assist in keeping the center clean and organized
• Substitute for providers as needed
• Manage own time to ensure assigned hours are spent on the job
• Assist during lunch hour
• Assist with community outings Monday and/or Wednesday afternoons
• Follow PTO guidelines (PTO MUST be accrued before you can take time off) and request time off with adequate notice (at least 72 hours in advance, unless an emergency)
• Attend staff meetings once a month (usually the last Friday, from 1:30-3:30)
Performance Review Schedule: In order to ensure that this is the right fit for Stepping Stone Support Center and you, we will meet after the first 90 days to review your performance and determine if the role is in line with your skills, experience, and career plans. Subsequently, we will have quarterly check-ins and an annual review to ensure performance is maintained and expectations are being met.