- Applicant may meet the GS-5 basic qualifications in one of two ways:
1. Specialized Work Experience or
If qualifying based on Specialized Work Experience, you must:
- Have the equivalent of
- at least one year of full-time Specialized Work Experience that was obtained after your 16th birthday.
- Provide specific examples of qualifying knowledge, judgment, interpretive ability and technical skills related to a finished product.
Examples of Specialized Work Experience may include, but is not limited to
- Agricultural Commodity Grader, GS-5 or equivalent
- Experience in a slaughter or processing plant, or a comparable manufacturing or production activity which prepares food for human consumption. This experience must demonstrate skills in sorting good from bad; applying, interpreting, and explaining standards, making decisions, and communicating with others.
- Experience as a meat cutter/butcher in a wholesale or retail meat/poultry business, provided a full range of responsible duties are performed such as cutting or butchering, sanitation, dealing with customers, meeting customer standards, use of judgment, interpretation of various requirements, and sorting acceptable from unacceptable.
- Quality Control or Laboratory experience in the food industry or other similar production environments. Working with products for consumption by humans or animals.
- A Managerial/Supervisory responsibility in the food or livestock industry, which demonstrates the applicant applied and has effective skills in communicating job requirements, evaluating results of work methods or processes, applying instructions, and interpreting standards or regulations.
- As a chef or cook in a commercial establishment which demonstrates responsibility for proper food preparation, handling, and sanitation practices.
- Animal Handling/Animal Care-work experience in the areas of managing, handling, growing, culling or medicating animals in a major livestock or poultry
- As a Veterinary Technician conducting lab tests, assessing animals and/or partial examination of animals, performing autopsies, monitoring animals under anesthesia or other Vet Tech
.GS-7 basic qualifications:
For positions above GS-5, applicants must have demonstrated one year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression in the organization in which the position is being filled.
Specialized experience is regulatory food inspection work which involved either ante- and post-mortem inspection of red meat animals, poultry, fish, or seafood; or inspection of production of processed products involving red meat, poultry, fish, seafood, or egg products.
This experience must have demonstrated:
- knowledge of general sanitation practices, laws, and regulations governing the food industry;
- knowledge of Federal laws and regulations pertaining to fitness of red meat animals, poultry, fish, or seafood for human consumption; or knowledge of Federal laws and regulations applicable to the processing of red meat, poultry, fish, seafood, or egg products; and
- ability to communicate effectively with supervisors and workers in the food industry.
The resume you provide must demonstrate the required experience as referenced in the announcement and the OPM Qualification Standards (Food Inspection Series, 1863), or you will be rated as ineligible for the GS-7.
If qualifying based on Education, you must:
- Have earned a Bachelors degree or completed a full 4-year course of study in any field leading to a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university.
- Degree courses MUST include 12 semester or 18 quarter hours in the biological, mathematical, physical or agricultural sciences.
If you have not completed your degree, but are within 9 months of graduating, you may apply. All qualifications based on education will be verified. You must submit a copy of your transcripts when you apply. Failure to do so will result in an ineligible rating.
If you are selected for a position, official transcripts must be sent directly from your college, in paper form in a sealed envelope or in a secure, certified official electronic format to our Minneapolis Human Resources Operations Division prior to reporting for duty.
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standard for the Food Inspector position may be reviewed by clicking on this link: Food Inspector (1863) Qualifications
• THIS POSITION REQUIRES APRE-EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL
• Selectee must be able to obtain and maintain a security clearance. If selected you may be subject to a National Agency Check and Inquiry (NACI) and a credit report inquiry.
• Have your salary sent to a financial institution of your choice by Direct Deposit/Electronic Funds Transfer.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
After completing the online assessment questionnaire, View Assessment Questionnaire you will automatically be assigned an initial self-assessed rating based on your answers. Since this is an open continuous job announcement, the Human Resources Office will not evaluate your application immediately. Your resume should include detailed, specific information. You will be evaluated on your relevant education, work experience and training as it relates to the fundamental competencies (communication, decision making, flexibility, self management and conscientiousness), required for this job. Basis of Rating:
- Applicants are evaluated in accordance with Delegated Examining Procedures. Rating procedures will be used to rank and select eligible candidates. Ratings will be based on an evaluation tool tied to specific competencies relevant to this position.
- Veterans Preference eligibles will receive rating and selection priority over non-preference eligible candidates. Veterans who provide proof of a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10 percent are listed above the other applicants.
- All requirements for this position must be met, including a complete application package that supports your answers to the occupational questionnaire. You are strongly encouraged to ensure that your work history thoroughly documents the duties, responsibilities, and accomplishments that are directly related to this position.
- If the Human Resources Office is not able to verify specialized experience based on what you provide you may miss consideration for one or more vacancies.
- The Human Resources Office will not conduct up front reviews and will not request missing documentation.
- If a determination is made that you have rated yourself higher than is supported by your description of experience and/or education or that your application is incomplete, you may be assigned an "ineligible" rating.
To view the application form, visit: https://fsis.usda.ntis.gov/cp/?event=jobs.previewApplication&jobid=A8960EA7-2F95-45B5-9A47-A3170125F98B