JOB PURPOSE: Direct and supervise the day to day nursing activities performed by nursing staff. Evaluate the needs and condition of residents to provide appropriate care. Assist unit manager in developingnursing care plan for individual residents. Performs routine duties independently, setting own priorities and scheduling own work in accordance with general policies and procedures requiring regular interpretation. Position exercises judgment in applying professional knowledge in solving nursing problems with thoroughness and competence within established policies and practices and is reviewed by the supervisor through conferences, reports and observation of results obtained.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides guidance and direction to ancillary staff in both clinical and personnel issues.
- Assist staff in assessing patient/resident status related to medical issues, social, psychological, and spiritual issues.
- Provides support to patients/residents & families in dealing with clinical issues and challenges; assists in resolution of concerns and grievances voiced by either party; Provide guidance / support to staff, residents and families as required.
- Ensures that sufficient staff are available to meet the clinical needs of the patients / residents of the facility; Assists in monitoring staffing to ensure that sufficient staff are scheduled based on the clinical requirements of the patients/residents.
- Review perspective admissions if required for determination of needs.
- Conducts tours for perspective admissions' and families.
- Ensures that staff abides by the principles and techniques of Infection Control & Safety by providing an environment that is clean, safe, and comfortable for the residents.
- Ensures that all staff complies with policies & procedures, rules and regulations as written / disciplines staff as needed per policy.
- In-services staff as needed related to clinical tasks, education and safety.
- Assists in establishing public relations.
- Evaluates emergency situations and offers assistance as needed.
- Performs audits as assigned by DON / ADON.
- Investigates accidents and incidents related to patients/residents, staff or visitors and provides first aid and follow up as indicated.
- Investigates abuse allegations and reports such immediately to the DON / ADON / Administrator for follow-up.
- Shares "on-call" responsibilities with other supervisory staff.
- Develops a supervisory report to the DON/ADON regarding pertinent issues.
- Performs the duties of a charge nurse if required.
- Assists in "disaster" situations should the need arise.
- Performs any other duties as assigned.
- Promotes safety awareness. Maintains a safe environment for residents, staff and visitors.
- Performs daily rounds of all patients/residents on the unit assigned
- Reviews the clinical record of each patient/resident to ensure it is accurate and complete
- Performs assessments on patients/residents assigned to the unit on a quarterly basis ( includes Skin, Falls, Sr , B&B , Elopement , etc )
- Reviews Care Plans on all patients/residents to amend / delete items as required
- Oversight of all care provided on the unit / ensures all rules and regulations are in compliance
- Provides guidance and support to staff
- Ensures staffing is appropriate to meet the care needs of the patients/residents
- Provides support to patients/residents, and families as required. Assists in resolving concerns and grievances on the unit
- Ensures CNA care plans current and accurate
- Ensures all documentation is accurate and up to date
- Attends Care Planning meetings with other disciplines
- Ensures the smooth operation of the unit in the provision of services.
- Committed to working with residents and families to develop and implement strategies that promote person-centered care.
- Actively supports Wingate's commitment to providing "5 Star" service on all quality objectives, with an emphasis on continual improvement.
- Adheres to all company policies, procedures, and standards of conduct.
- Reports to the appropriate managers any known or suspected violations of policy and procedures, regulations or standards of conduct.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- Must have current RN license in the State of facility.
- At least 3 years experience in a "charge nurse" / supervisory capacity preferably in LTC.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and clinical skills with the ability to communicate effectively with diverse individuals.
- Ability to coordinate emergency situations and delegate appropriately in a calm manner.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities and priorities.
- Ability to manage and supervise staff, working directly with them when required.
- Ability to make independent decisions related to clinical / staff concerns.
SUPERIVISON OF OTHERS: Provides guidance and direction to ancillary staff in both clinical and personnel issues.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled