- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Successful completion of an associate's degree in physical
- 2 years experience with Assistive Technology
- 2 years experience with Seating and Mobility for power and manual wheelchairs
- 1 year experience with power and manual wheelchair repairs
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met:
GS-7: Education and Experience. In addition to the basic requirements, one year of experience comparable to the next lower grade level (GS-6). Employees at this grade level serve as staff PTAs. This is the full performance level for the PTA requiring routine and less frequent supervision. Assignments include: service as an active team member in a comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation program such as geriatrics, amputee, traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, cardiac rehabilitation, aquatics, orthopedics, or wound care, etc.; prepare, provide, and supervise training experiences for PTA students; and independently provide patient education to patients and their care givers.
The following KSAs are required:
1. Ability to organize data, format that data into a presentation, and present information pertinent to patient care in formal and informal settings.Examples may include providing in-service training to staff or formal presentations to the treatment team.
2. Knowledge of contemporary physical therapy practice.This may be demonstrated through continuing education courses, in-service training, or journal article reviews.
3. Ability to independently implement selected components of interventions identified in the plan of care established by the physical therapist.
References: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G23, Physical Therapy Assistant Qualification Standards. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Therapy is considered a vocation that requires "medium" strength. Medium work entails exerting 20-50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 10-25 pounds of force frequently, and/or greater than negligible up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Physical Therapy requires good manual dexterity to manipulate tools and equipment with activities such as: 1) Operating all aspects of a computer 0-keyboarding, mouse and control buttons; 2) Demonstrating the use of all aspects of adaptive equipment of patient teaching; 3) Assembling equipment with the use of hand tools such as screwdriver or pliers.Heavy lifting and carrying 45 pounds and over; Reaching above shoulder, Use of fingers, Both hands required, Walking and Standing for four hours, Repeated bending, Hearing (aid permitted), Works with electrical energy, slippery or uneven walking surfaces, moving objects or vehicles, works with hands in water, works closely with others, protracted or irregular hours of work.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Your application, résumé and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
NOTE: The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-7. The Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) will recommend the grade and salary for new appointments. For internal selectees being promoted, the board will determine grade and HR will determine step in accordance with policy.